Central Missouri Foster Care and Adoption Association are a not for profit agency that educates, supports, and advocates for foster and adoptive children, youth and families in central Missouri by offering services and partnering with community and governmental agencies to develop healthy and self-sufficient individuals and families.
Founded in 2007 by a former foster youth, foster parents, and adoptive parents, the CMFCAA is a community service organization that provides for the needs of foster, adoptive, kinship, and guardianship youth and families. What began as a small support group has grown into a multifaceted organization that provides direct support, education, services, and advocacy to foster and adoptive families in a 13 county central Missouri region.
Currently, we are assisting over 640 foster families, over 1400 foster children, over 400 adopted children in our service area. Our goal is to be a support to the families, children, and youth in this area, and we work tirelessly to provide much-needed services to them.
In 2013, CMFCAA was recognized by the State of Missouri as the Central Missouri Adoption Resource Center in partnership with the Missouri Department of Social Services and LINC.
In 2017, we adopted two new programs to further our impact. 30 Days to Family® is a short-term intervention to diligently search for a child’s relatives and kin to identify potential placement options and supports. Extreme Recruitment® is a race to find permanency for youth using 12-20 weeks of intensive recruitment efforts and permanency preparation. Family Development is designed to recruit and train families to become resource families for abused and neglected children in order to increase the number of qualified, supportive families in Central Missouri. With these new programs, CMFCAA is able to reach more children and families to provide stability and support to the children who need it the most.
Did you know?
- There are over 13,050 children in Missouri foster care
- At the beginning of 2015, there were 651 licensed foster homes
- Only 48% of children who enter care are expected to be successfully reunited with their biological family
- The average age of foster children is 9 years old
- The average time in foster care before reunification or another form of permanency is 28 months
- 14% of foster children without permanent family become homeless adults
- 18-26% of foster children without permanent family end up in the prison system